Friday, June 27, 2014

Is The Signal a live action Akira?


I recently saw a trailer for The Signal(2014) and instantly I was reminded of Akira(1988). I hadn't seen Akira in several years, so I decided to watch Akira again and see if it still holds up. While also taking a closer look at this new film.


It would be ridiculous to say that Akira did not influence the history of film. Akira blew the minds of people when it first came out and it continues to be a gateway into anime for many people. 


Watching the film after so long, I am awestruck by how close the creators came to mimicking actual camera like movements and angles used in traditional films. While they mimicked traditional cinema they also maintained their own unique style. The other thing that becomes apparent from the first action sequence is that modern cinema is mimicking Akira and other animes to this day, the way the action flows to some of the abstract storytelling elements have been adopted into modern tv shows and films. 


Akira has also been cited as a major influence on films ranging from The Matrix(1999) to Chronicle(2012). Which brings me to why I re-watched Akira in the first place, this new film The Signal. So after watching Akira I watched the trailer to The Signal, and then I watched the trailer again and then I watched it one more time. I was confused and maybe you'll see why.

  **The following screen caps are from The Signal trailer and Akira, they have not been enhanced or edited. Also I took the screencaps from the film, they are not fan art.**

 
So is Akira still relevant? I'd say that it still holds up and even inspires current films. I think that The Signal was heavily inspired by Akira, what do you think? Let me know in the comments below. 

Akira(1988)
Director:
Katsuhiro Ohtomo

Writers:
Katsuhiro Ohtomo
IzĂ´ Hashimoto

Top billed cast:
Nozomu Sasaki
Mami Koyama
Mitsuo Iwata
TesshĂ´ Genda


The Signal(2014)
Director:
William Eubank

Writers:
Carlyle Eubank
William Eubank
David Frigerio

Top billed cast:
Brenton Thwaites
Olivia Cooke
Beau Knapp
Laurence Fishburne



No comments:

Post a Comment