Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Why It's So Dangerous


I have never played The Legend of Zelda; this is something that most gamers give me a hard time about. I will state that I started gaming on the NES back in the mid to late 80s, and transitioned to the Sega Genesis by the 90s never going back to Nintendo.  So franchises like Zelda, Mega Man, and Metroid are not staples in my gaming history, mine are Sonic, Ecco, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, so on and so forth. So this past week I decided to go off alone and find out why it's so dangerous.


I played The Legend of Zelda with an emulator on my phone, quickly switching to an emulator on a PC. If you're wanting to know if I beat it or not, the answer is no I did not beat the game.  I did play it long enough to realize that even after 28 years the game play is crisp and challenging,  one of the hardest games I've ever played and at the same time enjoyed every minute of it. I now know why this game is still talked about and how it's invaded all aspects of pop culture. Like all things I like, I got obsessive and did some research.

Here is what I learned:

The Legend of Zelda was first released on February 21, 1986 on the Family Computer Disk System. The game is inspired by Shigeru Miyamoto's childhood memories of exploring the countryside; particularly the discovery of a cave entrance in the middle of the woods. Miyamoto has referred to each Zelda game as a miniature garden for players to play in.


(Photo: Rustenico)

I was also curious about the unique title and where the name came from. Hearing of F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife Zelda,  Miyamoto thought the name sounded pleasant and significant. Paying tribute, he chose to name the princess after her, and title his creation The Legend of Zelda. 

The impact on pop culture ranges from celebrities like Robin Williams naming his daughter Zelda Rae to Jimmy Fallon saying the game is his favorite. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World makes multiple references to Zelda games. Back in 2008 IGN.com released a film trailer for The Legend of Zelda as an April Fool's prank. The game has been referenced on shows like The Big Bang Theory, Psych, The Goldbergs, and even Jeopardy. Video game creators like Hideki Kamiya (Okami) to Peter Molyneux (Fable creator) have stated Zelda games as major influences on their own work. 



It's always been apparent to me that Zelda was influential to all aspects of pop culture. I just never realized how much and why. I also now understand why some gamers miss being challenged and thus games like Dark Souls are so popular. I loved my time with The Legend of Zelda and I can't wait to start playing it again. Please tell me what you think of this game or others in the series.

The Legend of Zelda (1986)
Developers
Nintendo R&D4

Publisher
Nintendo

Directors
Shigeru Miyamoto
Takashi Tezuka

Programmers
Toshihikon Nakago
Yasunari Mishima
Kazuaki Morita

Writer
Takashi Tezuka

Composer
Koji Kondo


All of my information came from:
and

2 comments:

  1. As a Zelda's fan and player, I really think you should try The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (both on Nintendo GameCube). These 2 masterpieces can't be missed, such as Majora's Mask on Nintendo 64 (even it got pretty old).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to play them, I played Zelda 2 for a little bit. Age does not make a great game any less good, case in point The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Brothers. When I have more free time I will dive back into Hyrule. And thank you for your comment.

      Delete